Our School's Core and British Values
At Winston Way Academy, we are a forward-thinking school with learning at the heart of all we do. We are committed to achieving excellence and preparing our children to become inspired, global citizens.
We set very high standards for our teachers and pupils and we work hard to maintain them every day, based around our core values:
We recognise that every child is unique and we encourage them to develop and grow in a way that is best for them, always reinforcing positive behaviour and fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect, creativity and perseverance.
As part of our commitment to parents and pupils we pledge to:
- Provide a stimulating, vibrant and enabling environment with high quality resources
- Deliver a broad and balanced curriculum with engaging experiences that stimulate learning
- Ensure that every child attains high levels of literacy and numeracy
- Help develop social skills and the ability to form and maintain good relationships with other pupils and staff
- Encourage children to think creatively and express their thoughts
- Make every child feel safe, valued and cared for
- Motivate children to set high expectations for themselves
- Ensure that the children listen to others and are accountable for their actions
- Promote a strong independent learning ethic
- Recognise and celebrate each individual’s academic and personal success
- Always ensure that every adult acts as a role model for our values at all times
Our diverse school community is reflective of the makeup of Britain and London in particular and we endeavour to value and respect all members of our school community. We are grateful for the opportunity for boys and girls to benefit from free, high quality education and have their voice represented within the school and wider community.
We are able to demonstrate this ethos in a number of ways:
- Through our Core Values
- Through our collective worship and reflections.
- Through our teaching across all subjects
- Through our extra-curricular activities including trips and visits
We pride ourselves on being a cohesive and inclusive community that upholds the following standards:
- Enabling pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- Enabling pupils to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- Encouraging pupils to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely.
- Challenging opinions and behaviours in school that are contrary to the above fundamental British values.
- Enabling pupils to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England.
- Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- Encouraging respect for other people
- Encouraging respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
- Precluding the promotion of partisan political views in the teaching of any subject in the school